Tuesday 19 February 2013

Three Day Road: Entry 5


Drug seems to play an important role in this novel because it is used frequently among the characters. Every time someone is injured or just isn't in the mood, drug seems to be the first thing they rely on. Even the main characters, Xavier and Elijah who were disgusted by the use of the drug morphine, ended up becoming addicted to it. It makes me wonder, were there drug abuses among the soldiers during WWI? And sometimes, I wonder what kind of feelings are associated with drugs. Does it make you feel good? If so what does it feel like. But I guess I shouldn't get too curious ha ha. Like they say, some things are better left unknown.

2 comments:

  1. hey, I posted something similar to drugs too. Well, during WW1, Morphine's were used as pain killers and is highly addictive. In the book, Grey eyes tempted both Elijah and Xavier by stealing medical needles from the infirmary by pretending to be injured. What you said, "were there drug abuses among the soldiers during WWI?" really allowed me to think if there are people who really went that far, like grey eyes, to get hold of these drugs during the war. If so, wouldn't it be considered as sabotage since the soldier is stealing medical supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had to guess, I would say that drug abuses during WWI was quite common. Many soldiers lost their friends or relatives. They soldiers went through a lot of hardships and pain, and many of them used suppressive drugs to help them through injuries. Some weaker-minded soldiers would easily become addicted to drugs, and there were probably lots of these soldiers at the time. I doubt drugs make you actually feel good; rather, I think they simply make you feel less painful by suppressing certain feeling within your brain.

    ReplyDelete